Wednesday, January 18, 2006

colts collapse

So this is the end of our road? Three years ago, when I met you, I hardly noticed you even though you were always the center of attention. Groups of family and friends invited me over to meet you though I hardly ever took fancy to what seemed to be your manipulative tactics. I preferred the artichoke dip to your aggressive nature.

But over the years, I learned to look beyond this façade of machismo. What I mistook for manipulation was actually strategic finesse. What I thought was unnecessary aggression was actually just your unwavering desire to succeed. And I hoped that your outrageous salaries would offset the imbalance of our public servants’ salaries (school teachers, bus drivers, etc.) with your ability to implode an enemy’s head or to melt a defender with laser eye energy.

But I don’t know if I can forgive you for what you did on Sunday. Honestly, what more could you want from us? We have given you so much: a strong support base, ideal demographics and exceptional mentors and leadership (even if one of them has a penchant for beat writers). We even are going to give you a modernized, state-of-the-art home. And yet we never realized our full potential together. Why is this? They say that the definition of insanity is repeating the same behavior and expecting different results. But can we give this one more try? If not for me, do it for the local economy and franchise dollars.

In spite of it all -- the nine consecutive months of winter and a lackluster finale to a historical season -- at least we still have Angela.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.